Wednesday, August 12, 2009

State of the world we are in

I was reading that the American Psychological Association's division on global warming discovered that the people who do not believe it is happening have several characteristics. They have a certain level of denial, a lack of information, and a sense of powerlessness over the outcome. I am hoping that The Vigil will begin to address these in a positive and helpful way. I've written the outline of the story, now it's just a matter of writing the novel.

I get the sense that it's less of powerlessness and more of being tired and uninspired. Frustrated. When we get that way, it's really easy to feel disempowered. One challenge I'd put out for any reader is the political science idea that no one can have power over you unless you give them the authority to do so. While there are flaws in that statement, I'd suggest thinking about who authority was given to in your mind in an aspect of your life in which you feel disempowered. Just a thought.

It's August now and I'm giving myself a deadline to get the novel written by Fall Equinox. I'm great with making deadlines, and expect that this will be no exception. If we had deadlines related to when we would find answers for and address global warming, not just nationally, but across all humans, I think we'd be much further along than we are.

On a side note, I've been invited to submit writings for two upcoming compilations which will be published later this year. Very exciting! I intend to burn the midnight oil on these and the novel. In my case, it will be lime scented candles. I've got a thing for limes.

No comments:

Post a Comment