Sunday, July 18, 2010

Redemption

Hello World!

I fell asleep last night thinking about the word "redemption" so this morning, contemplated what it might mean for me.

As I am wont to do, I began doing searches for the origins and meaning of the word. Then it occurred to me that words have no power or meaning except those which we give to them. It is in the context of our lives and circumstances that certain words might raise themselves up to be given such power over, through and in us. Yet when most people hear the word "redemption" it is in the context of giving ourselves over to a power greater than ourselves in order to receive something.

When I looked up the word in Merriam-Webster, it said it means the act of redeeming. Redeeming serves to offset or compensate for a defect. One difficulty that I have with the commonly held meaning of redemption is its link to the idea of offsetting or compensating for a defect. I'd prefer to actively work on my defects, rather than to offset or compensate for them. I decided then to cast aside the commonly held meaning and work this morning on examining what I ascribe to it in order to give it power.

The word "redeem" has multiple meanings, according to Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: re·deem
Pronunciation: \ri-ˈdēm\
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English redemen, from Anglo-French redemer, modification of Latin redimere, from re-, red- re- + emere to take, buy; akin to Lithuanian imti to take
Date: 15th century
1 a : to buy back : repurchase b : to get or win back
2 : to free from what distresses or harms: as a : to free from captivity by payment of ransom b : to extricate from or help to overcome something detrimental c : to release from blame or debt : clear d : to free from the consequences of sin
3 : to change for the better : reform
4 : repair, restore
5 a : to free from a lien by payment of an amount secured thereby b (1) : to remove the obligation of by payment (2) : to exchange for something of value c : to make good : fulfill
6 a : to atone for : expiate b (1) : to offset the bad effect of (2) : to make worthwhile : retrieve


There appears in this to be an exchange of value that occurs in which something positive is claimed as the end result. I began to understand it as the possible outcome of imminent justice.

Of late, I've had a lot of discussion with friends about unjust situations. Invariably, there is a desire to cast blame, claim injustice by another person or group, and otherwise elevate oneself or ones position through the vilification of another. I suppose that's one possible way to handle it. Excepting that the moment that we do this, we give power over to that other person or group without even realizing it. Consider, what if our anger, self-righteous indignation, fears, superiority and hurt are all forms of energy? In claiming and holding onto those, we give them value over other things. They take up a lot of our time and energy.

For a situation to be redeemed, (or, as it relates to me, for me to receive redemption as I so define it) an exchange needs to occur in which we give over what we formerly gave such value and power in our lives in order for something positive to occur. That, my friends, is POWERFUL.

That exchange opens the doors for imminent justice to occur and for balance to be restored, and for my concept of redemption of manifest itself in my life. This has been happening with me, which is why I've felt the sense that something good is coming my way.

What good is coming yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment