Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Heading West

Portals of Hell still raging over my head. Better there than in my heart.

I was talking with one of my elders this week, and he told me, "You've got to have the right tools, if you're going to do the job." He was referring to my upcoming trip to real rock, but really, it applies to most situations.

There's one thing that nobody knows about me. That is that I've got a lot more tools at my disposal than I actually let on. I've got tools that haven't seen the light of day for years, and only come out when it's important. Every one of them comes with teachings I've received over the years on my own journey. It's not that I've forgotten them, or what they're for. I just reserve them for when it counts. Because, I agree with my elder, that you've got to have the right tools if you're going to do the job.

Possibly the reason nobody knows what they are or that I have them stems from the fact that I'm usually alone when these situations find their way to my door. Or, in this case, above my head. I envision a day in the future when it will not be this way, and I will be with another to share that aspect of my life. I've determined it's not happened because there's not yet one strong enough to face off with what I am willing to join into battle.

People will turn away from the challenge, turn their backs on their fellow man and a blind eye to injustice. It occurs most frequently when they feel powerless, and in an effort not to allow something to overtake them, they'll run from it, motivated purely on the adrenaline of fear. That's when that which they fear becoming most creeps into their hearts, and therein Hell resides.

I don't much believe in Hell, or even think that it exists. Hell is the choices we make, and no other place. Every day the Creator hands us an opportunity to recognize our blessings and gifts, and we make the choice of whether or not to recognize that.

So I'm heading West soon, see you when that journey is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment