Thursday, June 17, 2010

I Remember

Tonight I am remembering this one particular moment. I was up at Lac Courte Orielle and we needed to gather cedar. It was in the middle of winter, and cold as all get out, so I had my Army coat on. It was a WWII heavy wool coat that went all the way down to my feet, and I didn't care that I looked a bit odd, because it was really warm. So Maryellen says we're going out for cedar, and it's just her and me. I'm expecting that we'll be deep in woods looking for it, but no. She pulls into a residential area and talks with the property owner, who agrees to allow us to gather cedar. The only trouble is, the only cedar to be had was about 9 feet up, next to a rez car with no wheels, only some boxes.

We made a plan together, that I'd need to get up there on that engine block and gather the cedar and hand it down to her. Just before I climbed up, she takes a look at me and says:

"You know, people are going to be staring out their windows, looking at you."

I did believe she was entirely right. It's not often somebody wearing a WWII trench coat is climbing up on an engine block and gathering cedar in the middle of a residential area.

I remember thinking about it, and saying:

"Well, if they're looking at me, it'll remind me of just how special I am."

Other memories come flowing through. How I loved the north woods so much, gathering cedar where we did deeper in the woods. I decided if I got lost there and died, I'd be content because I was where something mattered.

Sometimes we've got to go where something matters.

And yet...

There are essential elements of life and living it in a good way, that transcend where ever you go, and make things matter.

I've been blessed by knowing a lot of strong, good traditional people throughout my life who've taught me a lot. They taught me a lot more than just what to do with medicines or how to do things a particular way.

A lot of it was about how to live a good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment