Sunday, January 10, 2010

Winter Wonderland

It's freezing where I live and I haven't left the house in two days now. I've avoided housework, writing and typing up the manuscript that's done. Instead, I've discovered Facebook. It's a pretty neat place.

I've got some folks who read the book prior to publication who will be doing reviews on it at the other blog (see my profile) and we'll see if that helps the process. This is truly a grassroots endeavor. I put up the cost to publish this novel, and I'm happy to do that if it raises money for the two organizations, the Society of Indian Psychologists and the American Indian Center's Positive Pathways program. They're both doing great things in NDN country.

A friend sent me a posting from the UK of 6 women who self-published something together, and their startup costs were around $2400.00USD. Yikes! I wanted to have a nice finished product, but I didn't go crazy in any respect. My costs were a fourth of that. I liked the finished product and I hope the readers will, too.

My goal isn't to recoup my costs, because that's not what this project is about. I'm doing all of my marketing of it through word of mouth and free resources available to me. I've got my day job and alternative reality career to keep me in Starbucks and pay the bills.

I read somewhere once that from those give much, much is expected. I feel that way about my life. I wasn't raised with much and yet much has been given to me, and I feel blessed. I also hold a belief that when you do good acts, there's some good that naturally returns to you. It may not be in the form of money or acolades. Maybe for me it will be making new friends or just having this already great good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment